Saturday, November 26, 2016

How to Paint a Chair with Chalk Paint

(with Annie Sloan chalk paint)
File_000.jpeg
As cold weather approaches, we tend to stay inside and do projects to the interior of our house. I just redecorated the inside of my room, but something was missing. At my desk, I have a chair that I love, but it didn’t match the rest of my room.  I found chalk paint at a cute little home decor store, and bought some that would match my room. This project was so simple and easy. Anyone can do this, and they can do it anywhere because you can paint inside.   
File_001.jpeg
Supplies:
  • Chair
  • Chalk paint
  • Soft Wax
  • Paint brush
  • An old rag/t-shirt
Instructions:
  • Start by prepping your furniture. This means wipe off the dust, and putty any imperfections. This is all you have to do. One reason why I love this paint is because you don’t need to sand or prime anything!
    • Also take off the seat part of the chair.
File_000.jpeg File_002.jpeg File_003.jpeg
  • Grab a brush (natural bristle brushes are the best) and start painting. This paint dries fast, so just smear it on and leave it.
    • Don’t keep going over the paint or else it will get all clumpy. If you want to do more than one coat, let it dry before applying your second coat.
    • This paint is super thick. It is designed to make your furniture look hand painted and not like it came straight from the factory.  It will show brush strokes so if it’s too thick add a little water.
File_005.jpeg
  • Now you have to wax. I used a clear wax, but you can use a tinted wax.
    • One thing I wasn’t expecting is that the wax is not a liquid, it is actual wax that you have to spread onto the chair.
  • Take your brush and dip it into the wax. You just need a little bit on the end of your brush. It goes a long way. Then grab a cloth and rub the excess wax off. Wait another 24 hours for the wax to harden and you can really buff the chair up and give it a good shine.  
File_000.jpeg
  • Now you can put the seat back on the chair and screw it back on.
File_001.jpeg

I hope you found this project as simple and fun as I did.  There are so many different options for painting chairs, and this way you will have a new decorative chair to make any room pop.

File_002.jpeg

No comments:

Post a Comment